A first blog post on a website is always a little awkward. With this in mind, I figured it'd be good to tell my story; where I came from, how I got here and generally what we, as a company, are looking to do.
For those of you that don't know me (and God knows there are quite a few), my name is Jason Levine and I just recently started Maritime Custom Tackle.
I have worked in the fishing tackle industry just short of 13 years, starting in high school, during college, and during my professional career. I was fortunate enough to work for a well-known retailer of big game tackle for over 9 of those years, heading up the e-commerce operation for most of those years. From there, I worked in digital consulting and then was fortunate enough to land in the software industry, where I still work as a solution engineer for a cloud based e-commerce platform.
I am an avid angler and self-proclaimed trolling lure junkie with hundreds of handmade trolling lures in my collection, all of which will never be offered on this website, so don't ask! I have two young boys that enjoy fishing and a wife that is supportive of my fishing and trolling lure addiction. My brother is a known Southern California charter/private boat captain.
So, how did I get to this point? Since leaving the fishing industry, I had a lot of ideas how lures and fishing tackle could be better sold online; God knows I've bought a ton over the years. This got me thinking...maybe I could give this a go, my way. No reason to do things how others are doing it today.
On December 20, 2018 the idea for the company was born. While my kids were dreaming of what they may get from Santa Claus, I stayed up all night, thinking about what an ideal company would look like and how this could be accomplished. It was that night that I decided to accomplish the following:
- Be specialized. Don't lose sight on product mix.
- Unique. We do this by offering a premium online experience with differentiated customization and rigging opportunities so anglers can get the exact products they want.
- Angler-Oriented. Center the experience on you, the angler. We want to make it fun and easy to do business with us. When you buy from us, you know that we're only selling what we have in stock and that we fully stand by what we sell. We will make every effort to be reasonable.
- Interested. Keen focus on angler success. We have genuine interest in your catches and take great satisfaction that we may have had a small part in your success on the water.
- Good business partners. Honor those we do business with, in particular, lure crafters that essentially risk their lives to make these works of art; pouring molten lead, ingesting resin fumes and sanding until their hands bleed.
While some may say that this is a passion project, that's not completely true. While this is truly a passion of mine, I don't treat it as a 'side hustle' or any of those stupid terms; I treat this very seriously. I, along with a very talented team, are looking to do some really unique things. Over the years, I formed some great relationships in fishing and beyond and they've been absolutely instrumental in helping me form the business.
This company is hardly about myself; no company should be all about one person. In fact, I want it to be all about the great people I'm working with, the amazing lure crafters/suppliers and the anglers we will support but figured it'd be good to give some context about me for a first blog post. If you've gotten to this point, congratulations and thanks for reading!